Art of Proprietation

Saturday, May 17, 2008

My latest fiasco waiting to happen

I got an idea in my head last week and it is threatening to not only take over my consciousness but also burst into reality as a full blown action. An action with consequences.

The other day, I was driving along, minding my own business, completely innocent, when I was forcefully hit with something. A tractor. No, I didn't rear end or otherwise vehicularly impact a tractor. Rather, I realized that with some of the projects I have coming up, and some of the plans we have, owning a tractor as opposed to occasionally renting one might be the right thing to do. Particularly if I happen to find one for sale, say on the side of the road... So I stopped and looked at the tractor for sale on the side of the road. Now I am looking into backhoes and getting advice on diesel engines. All from a split second, off hand thought that could happen to anyone. Maybe not you, but probably anyone else. Well, maybe not your neighbors, or someone in your family, but anybody beyond that. Well, maybe not anyone you know, but it could happen, I am telling you, I know.

So, why would I want a tractor? It's not a manhood horsepower thing. The tractor I am looking at is a small to midsized compact utility tractor. It's in good shape, but even on it's best day, it wasn't sexy. It's orange, of all things. I am reasonably sure this is not a midlife crisis. I have a big job coming up that is going to mean a lot of digging. I was planning to do it with a rental tractor, maybe spend as much as $3500 on the rental. Maybe hire the job out for a lot more but get it done quicker. Then there are all the smaller projects I would like to do. Some I could do by hand, some I just would never get to without equipment. And my wife and I would like to be doing more in our backfield to amend the sandy soil and then expand our food growing adventures. Maybe even sell some. We could move a lot faster towards that dream if we had a tractor.

The tractor I am looking at is a 20 year old kubota L2850 with a bucket. It's not young, but it has very low hours. It doesn't have any other attachments I will need though. I most immediately will need a backhoe. But I could also use a tiller, sickle bar, box scraper, logging winch, snow blower or three way plow, hay rake, and I don't know what else.

So, for the past week, I have been looking everywhere for information and advice about tractors. I have been trying to do the numbers to decide if I can make the tractor pay. I have been trying to see if this tractor I am looking at is the right tractor for me. It's still coalescing, so we'll have to wait and see where it goes.

Wish me luck

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home