Art of Proprietation

Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Chicken and the Egg

I was reading on the Granny Miller Blog today (just a kindred blog I enjoy checking on occasion). She was relating how someone asked if raising meat chickens made financial sense with the cost of chicken in the store. Granny Miller (not her real name) talked about what chickens cost to raise. That's a common topic around our household also. We keep goats for milk, Chickens for eggs, and garden intensively for vegetables. Being the person I am, I track how much we spend on various pursuits and balance it against benefit. I once explained to my frien Steve the perato chart I created to display how much I spend on vehicle travel and how his bar for Mainting freindships compared to other expense categories. He was disgusted with me for knowing how many miles I drive to keep him as a friend, but, that's just the sort of friend I am. Maybe someday I will write another post about my OCD box, but for now, I will get back to the cicken and the egg. Just trust me when I say if I offer you a glass of goat milk at my table, savor it. That milk might be some of the most expensive milk you have ever had.

I was going to write Granny Miller a comment commiserating about the price of storebought eggs versus home laid eggs. But it got a little elaborate and I decided to post about it here instead.

I have had chickens and guineas for eggs, bug reduction and some meat for about five years. This year I had to order some new laying hens because my flock is dwindling down and we don't get enough eggs in the winter.

I ordered 25 chicks from a hatchery. I think with the shipping, they were about $80. Before they went outdoors, we had gone through 50 lbs of food, and we went through another 50 before we divided the flock in half to split with my brother. About a hundred dollars and we had no fatalities, so a about 4 dollars a bird. But they haven't started laying yet (and won't unitl august or september). My experience says 12 chickens will go through $10 worth of food a month. And they might lay reliably for 2-1/2 or three years. So about in the neirborhood of $40 per bird. And they might lay 200-250 eggs per year during those three years. And that doesn't count any money for housing. Those eggs in the store would cost $70 - $80 per chicken (about 225 eggs per year for three years at $1.39 per dozen, what commercial eggs cost that last time I bought eggs). But store bought eggs don't wake you up in the morning to be fed, get killed by racoons, get loose in the garden and dig up your wife's peas, etc. Raising chickens for eggs might be a better deal than chickens for meat, but I think it doesn't figure financially when you compare to commercial eggs.

But Home layed eggs are fresh daily, and for anyone who hasn't compared them, that makes a difference. And, there is a symbiosis between or chickens and our vegetable gardens. The chickens get to eat the garden leavings and kitchen waste. The Chckens eat insects that would be harmful to the garden. The chickens live in the garden over the winter, eating and striping anything left standing and spreading around their manure. When a chicken lives long enough to stop laying, about three years with our breeds, we eat the chicken. And, our chickens are freerange freerange (as opposed to comercial freerange which means loose in a chicken barn with 10,000 other chickens and a window where they can look outside), no antibiotics, etc. So there are some non financial benefits, also. And my chickens keep me off the road, I used to have all sorts of off premises pursuits, but taking care of the animals helped me give that up, saving lots of gas money and discretionary spending.

But it is still a little discouraging to think about how much it costs to raise your own food. The other part that is discouraging is realizing I am still participating in the industrial food market even though I am raising it myself. I am still feeding commercial livestock feed. It comes from a local feed mill, but they buy their grain from anywhere and it is mostly corn. Probably GE corn, certainly corn raised on pesticides and fertilizers derived from petroleum. I want to raise more of my own feed, but right now I am still dependant on foriegn oil. And, no, drilling in ANWR will not help! ;) And with the cost of hay this year, don't get me started with the cost of goats milk.

2 Comments:

  • Hello Proprietor,

    Do I have a perado bar?
    If so let me know.
    I would be willing to pay to keep you as a friend.
    I appreciate that you keep such diligent records on keeping critters so that we do not have to.
    I just take your figures, double the grain cost since we choose to use organic grain and Walla Walla we get cost per unit.
    Better yet, maybe I should not know, it would probably make my stomach flip.
    When we first started with goats about 5 years ago I use to include total cost of outlay per gallon of milk.
    I remember telling my wife. That we were at $500 gallon, a few months later were down to $100 dollars a gallon. After that I stopped keeping track.

    Our bee thing still has me shaking my head.
    We will be into them for about $1000 just to see if two hives can make it thought the winter.
    If all goes well we will have $100 per pound honey next year.


    For a litmus test I often ask myself. WWPD What Would Proprietor Do?
    I usually end up shaking my head.

    WBF

    By Blogger Wanna BEE Farm, at 2:11 PM  

  • Charles,

    I find that my food costs for the chickens are a lot lower than yours as I don't feed them, other than starter chicks, during the warm months. They catch all their own food then. I do find that I must feed them grain in the winter or I won't get eggs. If they have the opportunity they love a bit of meat in the winter too. Shells are definitely harder in the warm months when they get all those crunchy flies, bugs and insects.

    By the way, really great job on those corner posts and fencing in general. I was at your place admiring your handy work the other month.

    WBF, I'm jealous of the bees. I kept them for 25(?) years but don't have any right now. In addition to the honey I always found that my gardens produced much greater yields when I had bees, or if my neighbors did. Right now I rely on the wild bees and my neighbor's hives.

    Cheers,

    -Walter

    By Blogger Walter Jeffries, at 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home