Art of Proprietation

Monday, November 03, 2008

Getting Cleaned up for work


I had to do some things this weekend that I really didn't want to. The weather has been been getting colder and it would nice to light a fire in the kitchen stove. But when I looked at the condition of the stove pipe, I knew I couldn't get away with running the stove before cleaning the chimney and stove.



In the stove I found about an inch deep of fly ash under the hob as well as under the oven. No creosote, though.




















The meat of the job was cleaning the chimney, though. Not a job I relished.
The chimney comes out of the center of the Elle, the middle of the ridge line. Just guessing, but I think the ridge line is about 30 feet above ground. Thirty feet up in a 45 degree slate roof isn't really my favorite place to spend a Sunday afternoon. I am not fond of heights without a safety. I've done some rock climbing, but always with a safety. I didn't much like standing on that peak with nothing to hold onto but the chimney. This kind of work it pays to do slowly and careful.


That's a pail full of creosote we shoveled out of the thimble. I bet things flow a little better without that inch of crust caking the inside of the stove pipe.






Labels:

1 Comments:

  • I could have lent you a rope and prussic.
    Give a shout before you go up next year.
    WBF

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home