Art of Proprietation

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Is it cold in here?

I turned on the heat in the bathroom today. It's starting to get cold in there, and we do bathe the boy in there...

Like a lot of old buildings, we have a kind of cobbled heating system. The main house has a steam radiator system in seven of the rooms. That's the primary system for the cooperative household. I added a heat exchanger to the boiler and there is now baseboard hot water for the back badrooms and the upstairs bath in the main house, also. For the Elle, we have a suspended slab in the bathroom with radiant floor tubing, also off the boiler heat exchanger. The rest of the elle has no heat except when we build a fire in the glenwood cookstove. It actually heats the kitchen nicely and takes the edge off in our living area and bedroom upstairs.

It has been below zero a couple of mornings lately, a little early in the season for that according to me. So, today I turn on the radiant floor in the bathroom. Its really nice to walk in there and be able to stand on a warm floor.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • The heated floor sounds luxurious. So, if you didn't order this chilly weather and we certainly didn't ask for it, I'd like to know who is responsible! : )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 AM  

  • I said I thought it was early in the season, I didn't say I didn't ask for it.

    Cold weather is a conflict for me. I like cold weather and scoff at people when they complain about it. But it has a real and present financial impact on us. We still heat the mainhouse primarially with the oil fired steam boiler and colder temperatures mean more oil and significantly more cost. We don't heat the mainhouse like the average american household would, but we can't let it dip as low as we let our personal space in the Elle because of our tenants. These people expect heat. Next thing you know, they'll be demanding luxuries like hot and cold running water and lighting after the sun goes down!!

    By Blogger MMP, at 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home