Art of Proprietation

Monday, January 26, 2009

Nobody here but us chickens

That's the result of our latest chicken hatching endeavor. A reprieve for the rooster, since I don't want to slaughter before I am sure I don't need him any more. What hatched looks pretty good, lively and vigorous, but I wanted more than 7. I think it is my own fault though. I let the hatching eggs get too cold while I was storing them to get enough for the incubator. Our trap room, a cool room that gets no direct heat, got down into the thirties. It was that really cold spell in December. I should have kept them in the pantry that is closer to the wood stove in the kitchen, more like 50's. It also didn't help that it took 10 days to get enough eggs for the incubator.

So it looks like on rock barred, at least one Americana and the rest are Buff Orpingtons mixed with our Brahama, maybe Buff Cochin rooster. All the light colored chicks have the side stalkings, showing the rooster's trait. I have not seen it on the dark chick, though. Interestingly, the previous chicks that a hen sat back in November did not get their side stalkings till later. These chicks had pretty downy side stalkings from day one.

I was looking through Murray McMurray's spring catalog and Buff Cochin is what the rooster looks like the most. He was a the extra free rare breed they throw in to keep everybody warm / generate interest in rare breeds. I did note that the Buff Cochin's are listed as poor layers and small eggs to boot. Luckily, it isn't eggs I figure he brings to the table, so to speak... He is looking huge these days. He is twice the size of our laying hens. I would not want him to hear it, but I am looking forward to finding out what he tastes like. He is broad and heavy in the breast. I wonder if he has trouble mounting the hens like they talk about broad breasted turkeys having. Probably not since at least 70% of the eggs showed at least some development when I candled them.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Hello!

    If he's big, you may want to keep him for another couple of hatches to get the size bred into your stock. I've worked on getting big chickens so I can have them to double duty, eggs and meat. It takes time when you do it yourself, as you are finding. This year I actually had the worst success with incubating, one batch hatched only 5 live (out of 44 eggs!) and the second batch of 32 eggs realize ONE chick.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 AM  

  • Thanks for stopping by my blog and you comments. I have looked through yours (what a beautiful child) and find what you are doing very interesting.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

    By Blogger DayPhoto, at 1:34 PM  

  • how many did you start with?! we tried hatching eggs 3 times last year and ended up with 1 chick after sacrificing at least 5 dozen eggs. we tried broody hens and then switched to an incubator. talk about failure!

    i can't believe i've never read your blog before now. shame on me! i'll be back for more!

    By Blogger tansy, at 3:39 PM  

  • Tansy,

    That hatch we had nearly two dozen eggs in the incubator. When I candled them, about half had something going on inside. That means 70% or so hatch rate for fertile eggs. We are guessing that the buff cochin rooster we have is more bluff than real action with the hens. He is big in the breast area, which is why we kept him at all, but it might cut down on his effectiveness.

    We have had good luck leaving eggs under our buff orpington hens when they are broody. But that is usually only five chicks or so. With cold weather we didn't want the hens stressing over eggs and we wanted a larger group of chicks. Even so, we ended up incubating twice because we weren't happy with the first round.

    By Blogger MMP, at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home