Art of Proprietation

Monday, January 19, 2009

On Kids, Kidding and Breeding to have kids

We still have one goat milking, we hope she'll milk through. She has milked at least two years per freshening in the past and we hope she will continue.

Having a dairy animal in our family has brought us in touch with what milk means, and it is not an altogether pretty sight. Often people say they couldn't kill to eat meat, but milk has a charismatic image of wholesome goodness, warmth of motherhood. Having dairy animals has brought me closer to the more stark reality that milk requires breeding, and more often than not the resulting prodigy is not an animal that will live to maturity. For the success of the breed, most of that offspring probably should not complete the cycle of life. That means slaughtering kids. And that's the basic equation that becomes obvious after being in the dairy vocation for any amount of time. Milk equals killing kids. We get the doe pregnant in order to take the milk made for the kid for ourselves. And more than likely, we will slaughter that kid and eat him too. Milk has an unseemly side. The knowledge has not slowed our consumption of milk, but it is a sobering reality.

This idea is similar to many that have become lost in our anonymous industrial food system. The element of risk has been removed from the consumer's experience. Consumers never need worry about a failed harvest, weather events that destroy seedlings or an out break of disease in livestock. And just about any unpleasant experience, from washing off dirt to dealing with the slaughtering or butchering. The luxury if specialization has allowed our modern society to make huge gains in productivity. But I think that with the outbreaks of super bacteria and virus bred on a steady diet of low level antibiotics on CAFOs and the changes in our landscape from monoculture agriculture are beginning to make their costs known.

I don't think it is realistic to suggest that the average person should become food independent. But I do think the pendulum has swung too far towards industrial agriculture and anonymous food.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Good post! I am struggling with that reality too and it is why I had never bred my goats before--I wasn't emotionally prepared until now (she said hopefully) to kill the kids. It is also why when I was on my ethical food trajectory and vegetarian, I quickly realized I had to move off the dependence on dairy products and go vegan. The agricultural dairy world is possibly the worst offenders of animal abuse. I have since rejoined the meat eating world and now kill what I eat. It is the best alternative for the world, the environment, and animal rights. I know how they live and die. I also know my foot-print on the earth in terms of my food consumption is now about as small as it can get. I've worked hard on that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:51 AM  

  • >"pendulum has swung too far towards industrial agriculture"
    amen brother!
    We certainly don't raise these critters because its cheaper or easier.
    Nice post. :-)
    We are still not sure if we going to butcher Otter(this years buck)ourselves or pay a mercenary.
    Wanna BEE farmer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home