Art of Proprietation

Sunday, May 16, 2010

I am going to try not to make this into a rant. It's going to be hard, but I am going to try.

I have been self employed the majority of my career. And that whole time, even when I was a twenty something, I paid for health insurance out of pocket. I had my first claim this year. I hurt my back this winter and I went to a physical therapist to recover from it. The therapist really did help me and was glad that I did it. I didn't think my insurance would cover me. And I was right. I have a high deductible traditional insurance plan and an accident only plan to cover some of the gap. I didn't have much faith that the either insurance company would cover me, and they lived up to my expectations. But I figured that going into it and was prepared to pay it out of pocket. I got the bill, I was expecting about $300 an hour, turned out to be $489 an hour after the 20% disconnect for immediate payment. The treatment involved visual assessment and recommendations of therapeutic exercises. No Xrays or other high tech diagnostics. No capitol equipment. I questioned the rate and their response was it's what the state allows them to charge. They are charging me the maximum amount allowed by law. Oh, now I feel better. And as it turned out, my accident insurance denied my claim because it wasn't noted in the diagnosis that the injury was due to an accident.

OK, so I ranted a little. I'll try not to do it again.

2 Comments:

  • You're entitled to rant - it seems these day you can't win for losing with healthcare.

    Hope your back is on the mend and especially glad your kidding is done!

    By Blogger Throwback at Trapper Creek, at 9:39 PM  

  • We have had no health insurance for long periods and I have been very careful to question every procedure, hourly rate, diagnostic cost, tests, etc. My doctor would say, "Oh, don't worry, it's covered by insurance." when I would ask if it was necessary to do. I would explain, "I have no insurance. I am paying this out of pocket." A lot of the tests and such were not necessary and those that were I got the price down on. Eliminate all extras. Even when we have had insurance the deductibles have typically been $5,000 to $10,000 per person so I was always very careful.

    Glad your back is feeling better!

    -WVJ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home