Art of Proprietation

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pig and a bit

We got our pig over the weekend. And a bit more.

We have been waiting for our slot in the schedule to get a pig from the farm we buy from. The farmer called to say that the pigs are not the usual 150 lbs dressed that they have been in the past and did we want to wait for the next batch to go to slaughter. We had already delayed once on the weight issue and I didn't want to be the fly in the ointment (oinkment??). I also wanted a pig, we are out of bacon, chops, ground meat and down to our last roast from the last pig. The farmer offered to help us get a little more meat by selling us some pig bits from his accumulated oddments that are waiting for retail sale. That was fine with me. It meant extra ground meat, ribs and back fat.

We met in a dark parking lot and transferred boxes of cryovacced meat like a clandestine raw milk sale. Just kidding, we met for dinner and we took home a pig in the back of our jetta. I noticed from the volume of the boxes we were loading that it was more than past pigs. The farmer's wife laughed knowingly and said it pays to be on good terms with the farmer.

When we got home we had to load the meat into the freezers. We have two chest freezers, a small 5 CU foot and a larger 10 cubic foot. We chose to go with the two unequal sized freezers because our freezer space needs change dramatically throughout the year. As we eat the contents going into spring, we'll empty the little one and shut it down. As summer keeps going we'll eat through enough of the big one and empty that into the little one again. When late summer harvests come in we'll start filling up again. And we need enough room that we can swallow a pig in one gulp as needed. It works out nice that we defrost the freezers at least once a year and go through the contents completely. It's amazing the things that can get lost in there if attention is not paid.

Now that we are flush with pig parts we have to find a use for all that. We got extra back fat with this one. We wanted to start rendering lard, and the extra back fat has given us a jump start on that. We spent a couple of hours this evening cutting up back fat and cooking it down. I am glad we had the glenwood to do it on. It was a long slow cook. Now we have bags of "cracklings" and quarts of lard. The cracklings we'll trade with a friend who wants them or give them to the dog. He likes them more than me and my waist line doesn't need them. The lard we will have for cooking. We'll freeze most of it to make sure it keeps.

They dog gets some of the other bits as well. He gets the organs. He'll get the feet and the ears. There will be bones after the soup. And when we were going through the freezer, rearranging things, we found some things we had forgotten. The dog also has some Guinea feet coming from last falls slaughter. A tasty treat. He says so anyway. With all the best intentions, things go into the freezer. The trick is to make sure they all come out again in a timely fashion. Not too long ago, we came across some crab legs that were left in the freezer way too long. I think a tenant forgot them when she left, we thought maybe we would use them, but we never did. They were un-appatizing when I got rid of them last fall.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Ooo! But cracklings go so well with cubed potatoes! You know, I never knew this about myself but I don't think I can tire of eating piggy bits. This surprises me, but dang these well-fed well-cared for beings just taste so much better than warehoused creatures. Lucky you to get the extra bits.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:03 AM  

  • El,
    I didn't season the cracklings, so they were kind of bland. And I don't need any new excuses to eat calorie dense bits, so I didn't work to make them more appetizing. The dog likes them. I will grant him this, his wish, and avoid my own vice.

    By Blogger MMP, at 6:54 AM  

  • Curious about the issue about the pigs weight. is 150lbs the hanging weight of the eviscerated carcass or is that the finished cut-and-wrap weight delivered from the butcher?

    I butcher my pigs at 280-320 live weight, which gives me a pig side (head on, skin off, guts out) of about 110lbs. that 110lbs will dress out to about 80lbs of cuts, which compares nicely to your 150lbs.

    did he give you an reason why the weight wasn't normal?

    By Blogger Bruce King, at 2:23 AM  

  • Bruce,

    I don't know what the live weight of my most recent pig was, but in the past a 300# pig gave a yield of 170#, so I think your comparison is probably correct.

    On why the lower yields currently the farmer explained it this way: It so happened that the pigs they got in the truck for delivery were smaller those two weeks. His current demand is outstripping his pigs ability to put on weight in our cold weather. He's trying to catch up with that, but I decided I wouldn't add to the problem by insisting on a larger pig. It was the farmers prefference to go with the smaller pig and add the odd cuts.

    -mmp

    By Blogger MMP, at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home