Art of Proprietation

Friday, August 28, 2009

Underway

I spent the day cutting and splitting wood. I should have done this three months ago. I started to, but I got side tracked by the fence and then there was temporary goat fence to deal with. Then it got hot. And there's always the other things that need to be done.

I got around to it today, though. I am going to feel it day after tomorrow, too. But it's important to get it done. I've put it off too long already and I am little worried it won't be well seasoned. Less than dry wood will burn with less heat for the house as all that moisture goes up the chimney as water vapor.

I got about half of the wood down to the house. I am processing as much as possible away from the house. It's a pain to clean up all the leavings. I also feel that it attracts insects to the proximity of the house. I have a wooden house, so I avoid enticing wood parasites closer. I also went to a workshop for on farm composting. One of their suggestions was that hardwood bark is an excellent source of the fungus spores necessary for good decomposition. So I am planning to split the wood where I compost and incorporate it into my next compost pile.

Half of what we need is at the house. The rest is down and cut waiting to be split. It isn't stacked yet, but it is under cover. It is underway.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • It's gotta feel good to be getting this chore done. I notice I get an unsettled feeling when the temp starts dropping and I don't feel I've done enough to prepare for the winter. I don't do well in the cold. lol

    By Blogger Callie, at 3:40 AM  

  • Interesting about the bark. I hadn't known that. We do incorporate a lot into our compost piles. Maybe that is part of why they've been working so well. We've been stacking wood too. It never gets done until winter breaths down our necks. Too many other things of higher priority.

    By Blogger Walter Jeffries, at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home