Art of Proprietation

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Crocs


I don't know when they became fashionable, but I didn't think much of those eva foam clogs called Crocs when I first saw them. They looked bulbous and short lived in garish colors. But at some point I was won over and I got a pair of yellow ones. They made me look like I had duck feet, which didn't really bother me. I figured if I wore them much I wouldn't get much more than a year out of them, but I wanted some shoes that would dry easily and come off and on easily for round the house duties. That was about three years ago.

I have been wearing that pair close to continuously ever since. I like them in the summer because to keep my feet cool and don't track dirt in the house. They are easy to kick off at the door. In the fall, I'll wear them outside unless the mud gets sloppy enough to squeeze in through the holes. In the winter, as long as the snow is crusty and not too wet, they work fine for a trip out to the wood shed or doing the animal chores. In the spring we are busting loose to get outside and a pair of bright yellow shows just screams warmer weather is coming. In all weather the crocs have a well cushioned sole and insulate my feet from cold or hard floors.

I am really surprised at how long these plastic shoes have lasted. I wear them daily year round. They are starting to be worn and they long ago picked up permanent dirt that cannot be washed away. The soles are no longer ribbed, I have worn them smooth. But they have not ripped like I thought they would.

There are lots of situations that are not appropriate for crocs. Working with machinery, or a shovel. Tramping thorough blackberry brambles or other half inch thorns that might Pierce the sole. I once found an upholstery tack embedded in the sole. It must not have been a half inch as it never reached my foot. And I wouldn't suggest mowing the lawn in crocs, not adequate protection for the feet.

I did try out some cheaper alternatives. When I saw an imitation for a fifth the cost, I did try them. I only use them when I am away, but I was disappointed in the imitators. The soles were not nearly as thick and do not provide adequate cushion. I probably won't find out how long they last since I avoid wearing them.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Croc on!

    As you may know I use the off road crocs.

    Wore though my first pair and the goat stepped on the rear strap and tore the strap out.
    New pair was doing fine until the goat stepped on the rear strap and tore the strap out while I was leading her to milk. Tried to repair it several times, but once it the rivet rips out the shoe is much weaker

    Did you see were fluffy the skunk met my crocs in the you tube video?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2f8Klsmy1g&feature=channel_page

    By Blogger Wanna BEE Farm, at 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home