Art of Proprietation

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Manual Mowing

I have heard people call it "scything" but that sounds funny to me. There must have been a time when if you said mowing, you couldn't mean any other way. I guess now you could say manual mowing to be clear there wasn't an engine involved.



I bought a scythe this spring. A friend had let me borrow his brush scythe and snath. I bought a 30" grass blade and tried it on his snath. I found it a great combination for what I wanted to do. Pictured is the grass blade on a snath I made from hemlock (and reinforced some) with a broom handle stem and nibs I whittled from odd bits. I patterned it after a purchased one.

In a few minutes I can easily cut a day or two's fresh grass to help with my rotational grazing. It allows me to cut grass from paddocks ahead of my parasite rotation. That allows me to get the benefit of the growth without exposing the paddock to parasite eggs.

I also frequently use the scythe to true up a paddock after the goats have been through it. I take down any weeds left standing. I particularly want to control poison ivy and black swallow wart or anything else the goats don't care to eat.

I ended up buying a 20" bush blade to go with my grass blade. The bush blade is much stouter, but it's shorter length allows it to maneuver in tighter quarters. The stronger blade allows me to cut light woody material with more confidence. Using the bush blade for blackberry canes and this year's saplings saves me a lot of banging on the grass blade. It is excellent for cutting paths through the wild berry patches. The bush blade does a lot of work keeping the electric fences clear and is excellent for cutting under the fence. I can even reach through the fence to get the opposite side. And a wooden snath doesn't carry current. I know I cut more volume with the grass blade, but the bush blade gets more frequent use.

I am very happy with my first season of use. It's probably right up there with a shovel for usefulness and I think I probably use one more often. I think I am as fast with a scythe as I am with my fancy string trimmer. And since my string trimmer engine is in never ending need of adjustment or repair, maybe faster. The scythe is easily as capable. I have a sickle bar mower that I have used for under the fences, but that was always dicey. I had to loosen the low wire and tie it up out of the way but I was still worried about cutting the wire. And I needed to turn off the fence to cut. And I feel a lot more confident about cutting around the new fruit trees. And the string trimmer burns mixed fuel while the sickle bar engine needs new rings. I am saving all that particulate, too.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • to qoute Curly:
    Hey Moe!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 AM  

  • I wonder if you would put up a video of you mowing, I have a scythe, but have no idea what the technique is.
    Thanks

    By Blogger damae, at 3:53 AM  

  • DB,
    I'd try taking a video, but I think if I let go of the nib with one hand to hold out my camera phone, my mowing form would go to pot before I could start recording... ;)

    My basic field mowing style I got from a book on mowing called the scythe book from ScytheSupply.com. It's for the hammered scythe I have and may not translate well to larger "american" scythes. I bet you can find a video on Youtube, though.

    For open field mowing I square up on the row I am cutting with a wide stance feet straddling the line of cut and uncut grass. Using my waist and shoulders, I turn my torso to the right as far as I can comfortably go and then turn all the way to the left. The blade travels the outside of that arc, with it's curve following the arc closely. If I didn't get the all the way through the arc because the blade hung up, I ack up enough to free the blade and finish the arc. When it's time to move forward, I'l kind of shuffle forward maybe half a step, resquaring my feet.

    But all bets are off when there are obstacles to negotiate like clearing a fence, trimming around a fruit tree or if I am in heavy woody growth were a full swing isn't practical. In those non open field conditions I use a variety of other approaches to cut what I want and preserve the favored plants or objects. Mostly I make it up as I go along and do what feels right.

    I did read the scythe book pretty much cover to cover. I didn't want to have to reinvent things that have been well perfected in the past. But I have found my scythe works intuitively well once I got the snath adjusted to make me comfortable.

    My cut is still ragged, and I am sure I could be faster. But I am really happy with the work I can do with it.

    By Blogger MMP, at 10:27 AM  

  • Hey thanks for the post. I've been wondering how well these work.

    By Blogger Vegetable Garden Cook, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home